Windy's Page for Thought

I will ramble here if I can

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

BLOGGING DEEP
(Sort of)

Well, I haven't blogged any really deep thoughts in a very long time. Sometimes I wonder why, and sometimes I think I know why. I think the deep bloggers are really letting the general public look deep into their souls, and most of the time I don't feel like sharing like that. But today, I think I do.

I'm going to write about my dad.
He died a little more than a month ago, and I really haven't said anything about it here. My dad was a great man, a wise man, and more than that he was one of the smartest people I know. I have a few childhood memories of my dad. I remember as a young student I didn't apply myself very well. It seemed I had a problem comprehending reading. My dad set out to help me do better. He used the "TIME" magazine. He would give me an article to read and when I finished he would quiz me. Personally, I didn't really enjoy this type of reading, but as I look back I appreciate that my dad really knew that I was smarter than my school grades showed. As an even younger child, I remember my dad sitting on the couch reading a paperback book. He was laughing out loud as he read and I asked him to share the story with us. He said that when we got older we would learn to read books without pictures. I looked forward to that day. My grades in high school never really showed my full potential, but I believe that my dad believed in me. He helped me through college. Somehow I knew that if I didn't' apply myself, the rug would be pulled out from under me. I applied myself and graduated from college with honors. I enjoyed 22 years teaching 4th graders how to read and many other subjects.

When I was a kid I thought my dad was strict. I think he was, but looking back, (and I discovered this shortly after I graduated from college), I see he had our best interest at heart. I grew up a good kid and grew into what I think is a good and responsible adult. Dad said that all of us kids should know how to be independent. He did a great job getting that point across. All 6 of us girls are good hard workers and productive members of society.
Thanks dad!

Of course he did not do this on his own. My mom also played a huge part in raising us.

5 Comments:

  • At October 5, 2005 at 8:25 AM, Blogger Nat said…

    I'm glad you shared that, Windy. He was a great man, and a great father. I always thought we had strict parents too, but I am SO thankful for that now. There were rules and there was no question in OUR minds as to whether to follow them or not...

    Love you, Windy!

     
  • At October 5, 2005 at 2:49 PM, Blogger sherle said…

    It was those daily beatings that did it, eh? (Just kidding --- I'm the mom --- and they got lots of love; if at times, tough love.)

     
  • At October 5, 2005 at 4:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You're sitting right behind me, so this feels weird commenting; I'm glad you shared Windy. Time magazine? Maybe I'll get you a year subscription for the next holiday. Just kidding - Love you!

     
  • At October 6, 2005 at 11:53 AM, Blogger Nat said…

    I don't mean to imply that we didn't get lots of love... we did. (I hope you know that there's no implication that love was missing in our lives, Mom.)

    Boundaries are good and I wish more people had them nowadays. You also raised us with good morals and standards. I believe we have passed those things on to our children.

    Love you! All of you!

     
  • At October 10, 2005 at 7:19 AM, Blogger sharba said…

    Good to see you blogging again, Windy!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home