Windy's Page for Thought

I will ramble here if I can

Wednesday, November 13, 2002

Good Evening!
I'm making stuff for my last bazaar. I hope it is successful. It should be, it is being held on the official "Deer Widow's Weekend!" I think it is a good day for a bazaar! Dave will be leaving for deer camp tomorrow night. It would be nice if he got his deer this weekend, then he can just go up there to chill out! I won't be going up this weekend, and probably only for a day visit next weekend, but Thanksgiving weekend I'll be there Fri-Sun. We'll cook a turkey on Friday.

Oh, before I forget! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! to Earthgoddess!!! She got the music on my site! Now my blog is just as cool as my sisters' and mom's!

I just watched the bio on J. K. Rowling, the author of the Harry Potter series. She is a very interesting woman. There was mention made of book banning and such. Many so called Christian adults think the books will steer children into witch craft. I remember when this issue was first brought up in the news, and one of my 4th grade students was reading the 1st book in the series. He was very upset by the fact adults were saying children couldn't tell the difference between fact and fiction! He said that maybe the parents were at fault if this were the case. He ended up doing a very excellent book project on the book, and to my knowledge, he still has not converted to witchcraft!

I would agree that there are certain adult books children should not be exposed to. They don't need to know intimate details described in many books, and they also do not need to be exposed to the language in many adult books. But I think that if a children's book is controversial, the parent should read it with the child (if, of course, it is something the child wants to read). Children are much more aware of what is going on in the world than many adults give them credit for. Anyway, it's been my experience with the Harry Potter books that the only thing children have been inspired to do is read! And there is certainly nothing wrong with that!

That's it for now!
O&O!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home