Windy's Page for Thought

I will ramble here if I can

Thursday, June 05, 2003

Random Questions; Random Days... Thursday, June 5

Describe a place. Discuss the feelings associated with it. Tell an event that happened there.

Boy, there's so many ways one could go with this question! I'm going to talk about a little school in a small town in Michigan. It is an old and tired looking building, but it was in opperation for almost 90 years! When I first saw this building I thought it sure could use a lot of work, but as it turns out, it is a sturdy and well built place. But what made this building special was the people inside it! I first entered this place in the fall of 1981. I was a nervous young teacher then, but all the staff and students soon made me feel part of the family. Even the parents of the students were generally kind and usually helpful. I had my own room to decorate and prepare for the students. I had all the textbooks I'd need to help them on their journey through their education. It didn't take long before they had captured my heart. I loved that job! I really do have many happy memories of that old building. Then on a very sad day in July of 2002, we were informed that the building would no longer be used as a school, and our services were no longer needed. I felt much saddness about that, and yes, even bitterness towards the people who I thought were responsible. Twenty-one years is a long time to invest in a place, and I must say, I really miss it. I will always remember the kindness of the students, staff and families I worked with. I'm working on forgiving certain people who lied to us. I'm looking for another teaching job, but with budget cuts, it hasn't been easy. I will do what I have to do to get by. ...And, I will remember the place as a happy place.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home