Windy's Page for Thought

I will ramble here if I can

Thursday, September 19, 2002

I canned 19 jars of stewed tomatoes yesterday. That was just about an all day job! After blanching, peeling, and chopping all the tomatoes, you have to do the onions and peppers! I left the garlic out because I was tired to chopping! I'll add garlic to my cooking. Then I read the ball book on canning tomatoes only to find out you have to water bath them for 40 minutes. Doing 6 quarts at a time, this took up most of the afternoon. I was almost finished when one of my jars had a blow out in the canning kettle. As a result, I have 2 jars I didn't boil. They are in the fridge and will be used in a recipe soon! Anyway, I feel this was quite an accomplishment. For all the tomatoes I chopped I thought I would have gotten more jars, but it all boiled down to 19 quarts, well 20 if you count the one that blew up!

Today I baked a half a turkey. This was dinner tonight and will be our meals over the weekend. The only cooking will be done over the campfire in the form of Turkey Pot Hobo Pies. Easy and delicious! Of course I'll most likely cook breakfast on Saturday am. There's something about a turkey cooking in the oven. I LOVE the smell! I think it brings back happy memories of holidays past when mom was up early to get the turkey in the oven for a 3:00 dinner. Anyway, the house still smells great! It was a bit hot today to be running the oven, but in the end, it was worth it.

That's all for now. I'm not sure if I'll have time to blog tomorrow, so here's hoping everyone has a great weekend!
O&O!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home