Windy's Page for Thought

I will ramble here if I can

Friday, August 29, 2003

Random Questions; Random Days... Friday, August 29
What are you doing this holiday weekend? You can find the link to this meme on my side bar.

Mostly I'm working. I know I have to work through Sunday, and I'll find out tonight if I have to work on Monday. My hubby took some extra time off work so he decided to make a trip to the Upper Peninsula. He is visiting an old High School friend. I'm glad he took the extra days off because he is missing the big travel time. He left yesterday around 1:00pm and will come home on Tuesday. My secondary plan is to get some zucchini put up, (dried, baked, and frozen) and clean the house if I have time.


Ok, now I'm going to tell a true story that happened on Wednesday.

My dear husband raises chickens and turkeys. We had a rough time with our chickens this year, as I think we got them too early, but they are all butchered and in the freezer now. The turkeys have not ever been a problem. Until Wednesday! Dave was working up at Higgins Lake and he stays there until the week is over. Tuesday morning the turkeys were fine. I watered them up good and went about my daily business. Wednesday morning I went out to water them up and I noticed one turkey had a sore face. And I mean sore! Half of his face was ripped away from the bone. It was pretty gross to look at. He seemed fine otherwise though. Well, I had some errands to do, so I went ahead and did them. Because of the one turkey, I was a bit concerned so when I returned home, I went out to check on them. He was standing in the corner with his head hanging down. To me he was looking pretty poorly, so I called my hubby. He told me I had to get him out of the coop and put him in the other side. They had to be seperated. Well, this was not something I really wanted to do, but I went out to give it a try. He wouldn't move with the rake coaxing, and I wasn't about to touch him so I went in and called Dave again. He said just keep an eye on him and hopefully the turkey would make it ok until the next day. Well, Dave knew he wouldn't be home until late on Wednesday because they were putting in 12 hour days because of the days off. He had second thoughts and called me back, and suggested I call his dad and have him come over to butcher him. What a relief! I called Walt and even though he was planning on going fishing, he came right over. He took care of the turkey and Dave brought it upnorth to share with his friend's family. The problem was of course, if the turkey had died before he had been butchered, the meat would have been ruined. Also, his face could have gotten infected which would have also runied the meat. Walt said the liver was a healthy color and there was feed in its stomach so he was fine for eating. I was just relieved to have him out of the coop. As it turned out, it seems we had 2 toms in the coop and they must have gotten into a fight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home